Friday, November 13, 2015

SBC Engine Mounts

The Studebaker/SBC engine mounts that we purchase are not Studebaker specific. These are actually universal mounts to off set the Chevy engine 2" or 3 1/4" rearward in stock or roundy-round cars (racing). Will they work??? yes. 
One might find the instructions a little vague at best. 


These are 9/16" slots for 1/2" bolts. The rear holes are a 2" setback and the fronts are for 3 1/4" set back.

Using the original Stude mount (1" tall, 3/8" stems) leaves a lot of slop in the assembly.


I have experience in ripping the older style mounts in half under heavy load so original mounts are not used here.


 The early Ford style mount is the same height and thru bolt mounted for a much stronger cushion assembly. These are sold as sets for a very reasonable price. They ship these with the wrong size and style of bolts. Discard the 7/16" and use 1/2" as they were designed for. A     1 3/16" hole is required for the correct interlocking installation.          
The engine mounts that I purchased require a minimum 19 1/2" width between the center of the mounting holes. Center your layout in the chassis. No right/left offset. 

Click on pictures for full view


Options??
The black rear location is as provided in the instructions (kinda). The red hole location is what I think I need. The yellow location is the 3 1/4" setback hole (front). 
My location should give me 1" clearance behind the GM HEI distributor and is 1 3/8" forward of the recommended mounting. It is also the recommended engine location if I used the front pair of holes. Clear as mud right?? If I mount in the 2" offset holes, the engine is forward of their recommendation but if I used the 3 1/4" holes, the engine is actually where they recommended.


The white dots are 19 1/2" apart and where I want them to be to have distributor clearance. Measure 10 times and drill once. I also throw sacred bones on the floor and read them for confirmation. 

Remember that the stude firewall distributor cavity is offset to the driver side and the chevy distributor is offset to the passenger side.

I was fortunate to inspect a '54 coupe with a chevy installed as my instructions specified. All was peachy except the harmonic balancer appeared to be 1/4" above the steering bellcrank. I want more clearance than that.

Kicking this around, I want more clearance on the bellcrank, If I space the mounts up 1", I won't need to lower the radiator shroud, and I will not have to trim and box the frame mounting pads since they then clear the engine mounts? This is the way I am going to go.

I am actually going up 7/8" with this 3/4' high density polyethylene spacer that is milled to the contour of the pad and counter bored to interlock with the lower insulator half and the upper metal cup plus one 1/8" stainless washer. The pad is interlocked but I added a 1/4-20 flathead machine screw as an additional locator.

All of this is "the plan" I will know soon if it all "comes together".



 This is the mount assembly interlocked in place. It looks tall but is actually only 3/4" taller than the original stude mount.








Now as ready as can be with the "plan".







The '93 chevy 350/700r4 is ready for a test fit. I'll let you know if the "plan" is valid.





No comments:

Post a Comment