Friday, February 19, 2016

Undercar..........

I had a nice 2 piece driveshaft (no wear) and decided to try to use it. With the Ford 8.8 rear axle, length is the issue. The original shaft uses the 1310 series u-joint, and Spicer makes a 1310 flange yoke for the 8.8 pinion flange. Use
2-2-1379 for a direct bolt-on yoke. 

While replacing the original carrier bearing, I moved it about .090" to the rear and shimmed the rubber mount back about 3/16" and achieved full insertion of the splined shaft.
The front section uses a GM slip yoke, 1310 joint and is shortened as required. 





I want to repeat the necessity for insert spacing the frame when cross bolting. 

I fabricated these two spacers from 7/16 i.d. X 9/16 o.d tube and 1/2" washers. 

I drilled the nut side of the frame 7/16" and the washer/bolt side 916".
Tightened, the 14 gauge Stude frame will not collapse.  



















No comments:

Post a Comment