Sunday, June 28, 2015

Onward

The only thing stressful about these old Jewels is that they are filthy. One has to have a vision........ and a putty knife/wire brush supply.

This is one vision::
Very nice!!

The past few weeks I have been cleaning and scrubbing the underside of the Stude. As a plus, they never missed a lube job, nothing was dry and worn out after 62 years. In the minus column, the grease and dirt was 1/4" to 1/2" thick from the front to the back of the doors. I wanted to get the car steam cleaned, but that doesn't happen around here any more.
Add to this that a thin coat of tar was sprayed on the frame only prior to assembly. This coating has blended with the oil/grease and needs to be scrubbed off after the dirt is removed. A scrub brush and gallons of mineral 
spirits with a coarse rag supply.

I am now intimately knowledgeable of the stick welds and spot welds that hold my Jewel together.



Many days and black epoxy engine paint............








Click on an image for a better view.








I also cleaned, rebushed and resealed the entire front end prior to painting.
Yep, I cut the front coils at the same time. Of the hundreds of coils I have cut in my life, this is the first time ever on the ground. What a Pain in the tail.


All back together now and getting ready to prep the engine compartment for a mock up with a small block


No comments:

Post a Comment