Sunday, June 28, 2015

No Tapered Axles !!


In a previous life, I had more than enough experience with Dana tapered axles. The 19 spline Dana 44 (4.55 ratio) with tapered axles was gone before I got it up on stands. It's now resting against the back wall until I can take it over to Russ's place and throw it in the dumpster. Nobody wants it enough to come and get it.

The Ford Ranger 8.8 is a well rated axle assembly for up to 350 HP and is the same width and bolt pattern as the Stude. I was fortunate to find an 8.8 axle with 3.08 gears and only 6k miles on the clock.
A nice assembly with the brakes cannibalized during shipping but they paid for that problem.

The 3.08 gear set will be fine for the street. The car will probably weigh in at about 2900lbs and a nice small block with a turbo 350 will move it just fine.

The spring leaves were polished, rebushed and restripped with plastic.

Yep 2" lowering blocks too!

I'll fab a set of traction bars when I get it clean enough to go in my shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment