Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Good, The Bad, and The Wonderful

After 55 years of fooling with these junks, I just spent the best $40 on a tool in a long, longlong time!




No more manhandling a 652 lb. engine and trans assembly with chain locations and strong arm tactics. If you don't have one of the levelers, get one....they are the wonderful!




The good were the spacers. I will not have to lower the shroud as they specified nor did I have to cut the mounting pads to clear the engine mounts.
On initial installation loading, I have 7/8" !!!!!! clearance between the 8" harmonic balancer and the steering bellcrank with only 3/4" of machined polyethylene spacer. It will probably be slightly less when tightened and settled. 

Click to enlarge any photo.


The leveler tilts and levels the load as necessary, I never touched the firewall.





At the point above, I learned that the blank fuel pump mount casting hit the original mount pad......here come the sawsall!! 



About five minutes later, 1/2' of the pad was on the floor with my sacred chicken bones. I will box in and weld the gap when its up in the air. No stopping now!




The motor is level and straight and the 700R pan seems to be level with the bottom of the frame when the output shaft is aligned nicely with the center crossmember. I'm just mocked up at this point and a transmission support xmember will be next. There seems to be plenty of room for lines and linkage as well as ample floor clearance.
I must admit that the specified mount location was correct and I was wrong. I ended up using the front hole set instead of the rear as I expected. Moving the mounting hole forward did allow for the 1 3/4" lower section of the early ford mount under the mounting pad.


Things are looking good but what if I didn't have a spacer prepped ahead of time, about a 4 hour delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment