Friday, October 23, 2015

53' to 63' Dash

The 53' dashboard was somewhat tweaked (I hope his knee healed well) and frankly, I could not visualize modifications and repair that would result in a dash that I liked.
There was a Studebaker meet here in Henderson and I went shopping. Not much there for me, but I did score a 63' fiberglass dash complete with the steel crossbar and brackets. 


The amazing part of this is that it bolts into the '53 Starlight perfectly. No changes in the cowl in 10 years.

With the dash pad (rag) removed, I have been cleaning and blocking the unit with 80 grit. There are a few imperfections and way to many holes, but this is going to be cool!

My instruments don't fit and I don't do radios so the concept is to overlay the dash with black walnut.

I found a supplier in Vegas and picked up a nice plank to fab the overlay. 

Everything is a project but this is not a bid job and I do have the time. The 34' Chevy is peeking out the garage door.






I really don't do much wood but with a piece as nice as this I think I can succeed. There is enough here to do this job twice.

Click on the pictures for a larger view.

This is a nicely figured piece!!

I hope to have an engine mount presentation in the next couple weeks to answer the questions I had before starting this project.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... Very cool, Dad! I can't wait to see exactly what you do with the wood--looks interesting!! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete